Saturday, December 3, 2011

Handmade Christmas- Tshirt Scarf Tutorial

I found this on Pinterest and fell in love.  I have been wanting a ruffly scarf for myself for the last 2 winters now.  They are pretty, fun, but expensive.  At least for the ones that I tend to look at.  So this year, while browsing good ole Pinterest, I found this tutorial HERE, but it is a video. So I decided to go ahead and do a picture tutorial for you all.

The other great thing is that this can be completely free, or extremely cheap.  So this is the Handmade Christmas gift I am doing for my neices, and my mother.


Grab some tshirts that you may have in your "giveaway/throwaway" pile" or buy some Jersy knit material.  Use a 9 inch plate or bigger as your template.  Cut out at least 8 or 9 circles.  Mix and match colors or prints if you want!



Cut a swirl about 2-3 inches wide


cut that round tip off


take each strand and run your hand down top to bottom grabbing and stretching it.  This will make it start to twirl.



divide into two equal sections
If you are not a sewer, you may fabric glue or hot glue these strands together and skip the next couple of steps that use the sewing method (this is my contribution to the tutorial)


Sew one bunch (or glue) together strand to strand, then but off leaving a 1/2 in seam allowance.  Repeat to the other section.



Now overlap the two sections and sew of glue them together



Take a strand from each side and wrap around the seam/glue spot and tie a knot to hide it.



Isn't she cute?  She actually posed nicely for me today.  She wants a scarf now too!





So this is a great way to use up some old shirts.  Wash them so they smell really good and then this is a great gift! 

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment