Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Trip to Africa-Mothers Without Borders

I have been so lucky to be affiliated with Mothers Without Borders.  I had an opportunity to help with a charity dinner and auction back in February and I have been hooked since.  Hearing the stories, meeting the people who have changed so many lives, I knew I needed to do something.  Enter Be The Change tee.  I knew that I wanted to give back.  I knew I wanted to spread awareness.  I knew I just HAD to do it.  Why not?  I have been blessed with so much.  Just a few dollars makes such a difference.  I decided to make this tshirt so I could donate money.  Along with another purpose, Warrior Ethan, I split the profits and donate to these two great causes. 
  My dear friend, Amanda, who introduced me to this great cause, was able to go to Zambia for three weeks with Mothers Without Borders.  She anxiously got prepared with various humanitarian projects to donate and all the medical things required to make the journey.  I watched her three kids for one of the weekends she was gone.  I felt I helped out a ton and did my part so she could go bless lives. 
  After her return, I scheduled an evening to go to her house and hear the stories and see the pictures.  Those sweet faces of the children.  They are so happy.  Happy with nearly nothing.  Playing soccer in bare callused feet with a homemade soccer ball made of rolled up paper.  They made do with what they had and never complained once.  They just want to be loved.  We sat at her computer and at moments we were both crying.  My heart was so full, yet ached.  This is going on in the world.  This is going on in our own country. 
  I was even more moved to find other organizations to team up with here in the US, and Arizona.  There are starving children in our own back yard.  I was even more motivated to spread the word.  To be the change.  Small simple acts with great love.  This is why I am driven. So I can give back. 
  Amanda brought me back some fabric from Zambia.  They have such beautiful prints.  Amazing, joyful colors and designs.  I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them so please stay tuned in the next month or so when I reveal a limited supply of something great with Zambia fabric.  Have you seen our Be The Change tee?  Did you know that a portion of the profits is donated to Mothers Without Borders?  Head over HERE now and get yours.  Available in kids and adult sizes.  Now when you where your shirt, do something great.  Find opportunites in your area of how you can be the change.  There is no better payment in life than the feeling from helping someone in need.  It connects us.  It changes us. 

the amazing fabric warehouse.  I was so lucky to have Amanda bring some back for me so I could make wonderful creations with them and donate the profits right back.  So stay tuned for my project reveal. 
 


drawing water from the well.  These people were balancing huge amounts of water on their head while carrying their babies in their wraps.



The children who live at the Mothers Without Borders center. 

The kids were so excited to have someone read to them.  This little boy was in a temporary care facility.  Amanda described them as "Wild kids"  like the kids from the movie "Hook"  they were quick and sneaky and roudy, but when you sat down to read with them they were but little children. 

Those braids standing straight up!!  love it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment